Friday, April 11, 2014

Undistacted Devotion

As I have been asking God for a lot of input and wisdom lately (I should be doing this all the time, but lately it has been happening more often), I have come to a realization.

I ask God a lot of questions, and then I tune out His answers.


Oh of course not purposely.
I just came to a realization though..
I ask God a question, and then instead of listening for His reply, I go and turn my music on, check my facebook, watch my tv show, text all my friends...



No wonder I can't hear Him.


Even as I write this, I am fighting a strong urge to check my facebook, look at things on pinterest, listen to music. It's become such an impulse that it's hard to just lay it aside. The Lord has been speaking to me that it's time to take a technology fast. I'm still praying about exactly how it will look. I have already begun to cut out apps on my phone. One thing I have realized is that I need to spend more time in silence/prayer. How can I hear God if all I hear is noise? I have a 40 minute drive to work everyday, which means my total vehicle time is about 1.5 hours. It's easy to just turn on the tunes and not think about anything else, and especially avoid prayer time. However, how can I expect to hear Him when He speaks, if I'm not willing to listen? God is ALWAYS speaking to us, we just aren't listening. I am excited to cut all of this technology out, although I know it will be a challenge, because I know that the Lord will use this time to really speak to my heart. I read an article the other day by Phil Wickham, and one thing that he said really stuck out to me. For those of you who don't know, Phil Wickham is a worship singer and has recorded several albums. In the middle of his last tour, they found an irregularity on his vocal chords, and the only way to heal it is absolute silence.
This is what Phil says, "So I've been quiet now since Saturday, and you can imagine how the last 5 days have pretty much been just a wild series of nods, shakes, and gestures...It's also been a lot of listening. I'm starting to feel like I haven't been listening enough because I feel like I'm hearing a lot more lately. The Lord has been speaking to me profoundly. I feel so at peace. So loved. Moments of fear are quenched with a thought of the cross. Moments of anxiety vanish in the whispers of His grace. And I am thankful for it."

It is beyond me how God manages to speak to me when I indulge in so many distractions. About a month ago, I made a list of all the things distracting me from my relationship with God, and He is slowly cutting those things out. I didn't ask Him to do this. I didn't want Him to do this. I just wanted it to be "good" without giving anything up. It is PAINFUL, but the end result will be so great. I'm thankful that God doesn't allow me to stay the same, but continues to refine and renew my heart. Dear friends, I challenge you to consider your own heart today. Are there things in the way of your relationship with God? Things that are causing you to be distracted and that take away your time with Him? Write them down, I encourage you. Be brave. And then ask the Lord to show you how these things can become less and how He can become greater. Sacrifice is always hard, but to sacrifice for Him is worth it. Good Friday is one week from today, and what is our sacrifice compared to all that He has given us? In John 15:12 - 14, Jesus gives us these words: "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you."
He gave His life for you. He gave His life so that you could KNOW GOD and so that you could be free from the power that sin once held over you. Do not let yourself be held captive to that which distracts you, but as a free child of God pursue Christ. "Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross." Hebrews 12:1-2a


"This I say for your own benefit; not to put a restraint upon you, but to promote what is appropriate and to secure undistracted devotion to the Lord." 1 Corinthians 7:35


1 comment:

  1. Nice. This says a lot about your heart, Jess. I too did not ask for some of the things that were barriers to be cut away - and yet God in His wisdom and grace has been busy whittling for years! Painful, yes. Worth it? YES!!

    ReplyDelete