Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pursued.

As far as I know, it's every girl's dream. Literally, even before we can tie our shoes and count to 10, it is somehow communicated to us what the point of life is (or what it seems to be, anyways) - eventually finding that prince, the perfect one, the one who will do anything for you, fighting dragons and going through dangerous, scary forests, just for his princess. And obviously, you need to find him sooner rather than later. Of course, in our culture you wait at LEAST until elementary school to start on this journey. Yeah, does anyone else have memories of everyone dating having a special friend that they could always talk to in class and maybe hold hands with at a hockey game in Grade 6? HA. It is crazy if you think about it. Everywhere you look the message is being spewed at you like a fire hydrant. "YOU NEED SOMEONE". Okay, since when was this a need? Why does a girl in grade 6 need a boyfriend? Oh wait, she doesn't. So okay, jump forward a few years.. Grade 10, 11, 12... If you're in a relationship you're automatically cooler or something. Everyone knows you only find that special someone if you're good looking and not awkward. So basically, if you're not popular and you suck at sports (hello, Jessamy), then you don't have a boyfriend at high school. Okay, whatever. Even though the subject of boys is basically all girls study in high school, it's okay if you don't have one yet. Especially if you go to a small school. Cue the classic excuse: "I live in a small town. There are no good guys here." Which could be true (sorry boys who I went to high school with), and also since you live in a small town, you know everyone's life secrets and every embarrassing thing they've ever done, and every other girl they've dated is probably in your graduating class, and you also remember them in kindergarten when they were awkward and probably peed their pants in class. Not exactly a big catch haha. Also, this means they remember when you were embarrassing and awkward (oh wait, I still am) and that one time in Grade 3 when you threw up on the school bus. WHY AM I SO CUTE. Sorry to everyone who had to be there for that.
OKAY anyways, I'm getting off topic, but this is just how my mind is working right now. Gotta let it all flowwwww. (Just a fun fact, I actually did date a guy in high school, and it was great. However, thankfully God knows what is best for us and that relationship ended, and I am quite happy without it. Also, the guy wasn't from my town.)
Okay, so anyways, by the time the end of high school rolls around, everyone still "wants someone", but there is a good chance it's a little less romantic than it was when you were 6. Now you just want someone who you can call and text and hold hands with and kiss and..
right?
So by this point, you've lost the dream. In the fairytales, the girls were pursued. Those guys did anything they could to get their princess. I don't even think our culture understands the meaning of that word when it comes to relationships. What used to be a dream of a man who would chase after you and be willing to sacrifice for you is now thrown away, because it is seemingly impossible to find.
**Disclaimer** I am aware that some people have great relationships, where this isn't an issue, but I'm just kind of getting myself to my main point, and I know I'm making a lot of generalizations, so please don't be all defensive.
Okay, I'm trying to get back on topic.
As a girl, I want to be pursued. I think deep down everyone wants that actually. We all want someone to love us and fight for us, and to make us feel needed and desired. But sometimes we give up that dream. Since we have this deep desire to be loved, we begin looking for it in the wrong places and the wrong ways. Before we know it, our hearts feel empty and unsatisfied. Instead of waiting to be pursued, we ourselves begin a pursuit.
Being out of high school for 3 years has made me realize the truth of this even more. Everyone I talk to "Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, (and girls definitely drag out the word that long) do you have a boyfriend yet?" "Sooooooo when are you getting married?" IT'S AN EXPECTATION. Our world is obsessed with relationships, and it's dumb. Yes, relationships can be fantastic, but all too often they are just a way for people to "feel something" and to try and fill the love void. Not gonna lie, there have been times in my life where I've gone after relationships for the complete wrong reasons, simply because I wanted someone to be with and someone to love me. It's sad now that I think of it, and it wrecked some good friendships too. IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE AND IT IS OKAY TO NOT WANT A RELATIONSHIP RIGHT NOW AND IT IS OKAY TO BE CONTENT AND HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE WITHOUT LOOKING FOR MORE THAN YOU ALREADY HAVE. Sorry for the caps, just some thoughts.
Back to my point.
We are always pursuing things. Always looking, always chasing, never content.

Let me tell you a secret.


Are you listening?


Someone is already pursuing you.


Wait what?

Yes. Have you forgotten your creator, your first love?
I know I'm sometimes guilty of forgetting.
For the past couple months I have been thinking about this wonderful fact that God pursues us. No boyfriend/husband will ever be perfect, but we serve this God who loves us and wants us and will do whatever it takes to get our attention. Sometimes it's a painful process to realize this, but everything He allows is in our best interest, even when we don't understand it. This God that we serve is waiting for us and constantly talking to us. He loves me and understand me better than any man ever could. Next time you feel lonely or unimportant, be comforted and encouraged in the fact that God wants you and He will do whatever it takes to capture your heart. You are beautiful and special and precious to Him. He is pursuing you.. will you let Him in?



Jessamy

"She went after her lovers, but me she forgot. Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her." Hosea 2:13b-14

No comments:

Post a Comment