Monday, December 1, 2014

See the Treasure, Buy the Field

I had the great privilege last month to attend a weekend retreat with the Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship groups from the University of Regina and the University of Saskatoon. God has used this community profoundly in my life in the past few months, and the message of the retreat is something that has significantly impacted my life and my view of community and ministry. The theme of our weekend was "See the Treasure, Buy the Field" and it comes from Matthew 13:44-46.
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
This small portion of scripture speaks profoundly.
Our speaker challenged us a lot on the ideas presented here. "When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field." "When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." This man was willing to give up everything! What does this mean for us? What are things that God is asking us to give up? Our priorities? Our time? Our resources? Our money? Certain relationships? Your pride? Personal space? Comfort? The most important question to ask is "What do I need to give up in order that I may gain Christ?" Are there things in my life that are holding me back from experiencing the fullness of who Christ is? 
Think about this story. Why did these people sell everything they had?

It is because they knew the reward would be far greater than the cost. 

The kingdom of God is relevant. It is current. It is woven into everything.
Are we carried away with the kingdom? Are we seeking it with joy? Do we realize the worth it holds? Are we willing to give up everything that holds us back from more of Christ? 

All it costs is everything.

We sell what we have that we may buy Christ. (This doesn't necessarily mean selling all your earthly possessions, but more giving up things in the way of you and God and things in the way of you forming relationships with other people.) Yes Christ gives Himself freely to us, but the abundant life He offers comes at a cost.

The only ones who EVER regret selling are the ones who stop buying.
If you are giving up things in order to gain Christ and gain the Kingdom, you will not regret it. If you are giving up things but not pursuing Christ, you will not find the joy in it.

Some questions to think about:
What do you have?
What does God want you to sell? What holds the centre of your attention?

An amazing thing that our speaker shared was this.

There is more of the Kingdom than you have experienced. 

This is amazing. I have been blown away by God's greatness again and again lately and been so filled by kingdom living. There are times my heart is so full and satisfied that I cannot ask or imagine anything greater. And there is more. 

I hope you are encouraged by this. The reward of the kingdom is so great. Invest in it. The more you search for it and the more you pursue it, the more you will find. The reward of it is worth the cost of following. It is worth selling.

See the treasure.
Sell everything.
Buy the field.

Jesus says in Matthew 16:24-26:
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?"
Paul speaks on this same concept in Philippians 3:7-8 when he says:
"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ."
Paul understood the joy of selling to buy. "I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ."
God desires relationship with us and there are great and wonderful things in store for those who are willing to follow with full abandon.

See the treasure.
Sell everything.
Buy the field. 





1 comment:

  1. "The most important question to ask is "What do I need to give up in order that I may gain Christ?"

    This is a compelling idea that I haven't exactly considered before. When I've thought about God commanding us to give, the furthest dimension I've really reached with it is that God desires selflessness. But the thought you provided, that certain things in our lives are actually stopping us from deeper relation with Christ, gives a lot more light to the matter.

    I've enjoyed keeping up with your blog. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete